N.I.A.- Northern Interior Airsoft
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

N.I.A.- Northern Interior Airsoft

GO TO https://www.facebook.com/groups/158383917586946/ FOR CURRENT NIA UPDATES. THIS SITE IS NO LONGER ACTIVE

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Nov 27-SNOW DAY

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Hortons Heros
Toast
Toast
Hortons Heros

Number of posts : 3838
Registration date : 2005-10-26

Player Info
Club Status: Member
Geo: Local
Tags:

Nov 27-SNOW DAY - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nov 27-SNOW DAY   Nov 27-SNOW DAY - Page 2 EmptyWed 24 Nov 2010, 4:11 pm

We used to play more in the winter than in the summer outdoors. We were young and crazy back then.

Back to top Go down
http://www.nlbc.bc.ca
Acorn
PG MEM
PG MEM
Acorn

Number of posts : 344
Registration date : 2009-04-26

Player Info
Club Status: ---
Geo: Prince George
Tags: ---

PostSubject: Re: Nov 27-SNOW DAY   Nov 27-SNOW DAY - Page 2 EmptyWed 24 Nov 2010, 9:43 pm

and some of us had more hair, right Horton? Razz
Back to top Go down
Hortons Heros
Toast
Toast
Hortons Heros

Number of posts : 3838
Registration date : 2005-10-26

Player Info
Club Status: Member
Geo: Local
Tags:

PostSubject: Re: Nov 27-SNOW DAY   Nov 27-SNOW DAY - Page 2 EmptyWed 24 Nov 2010, 11:12 pm

I am still cold everywhere I go now
Back to top Go down
http://www.nlbc.bc.ca
rustyfender
NIA New
NIA New
rustyfender

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2009-04-30

Player Info
Geo: College hieghts

PostSubject: Re: Nov 27-SNOW DAY   Nov 27-SNOW DAY - Page 2 EmptyThu 25 Nov 2010, 1:32 am

don't worry at least you havent frozen your ears literally solid like i have on several occasions
Back to top Go down
Mikhail
Admin
Admin
Mikhail

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2008-08-05

Player Info
Geo: 100 Mile House AND Nova Scotia

PostSubject: Re: Nov 27-SNOW DAY   Nov 27-SNOW DAY - Page 2 EmptyFri 26 Nov 2010, 12:56 am

Update:

The 100 mile house contingent is now Chris and I driving up in our vehicle (red subaru with grey car-topper if you are keeping at eye out for us), with perhaps 2 others being picked up on the way.

She will play when she can, and film the rest. A good friend is sitting the kids so we can come play.

When I get confirmations from the other 2, I will pass that on. (I is makin' em split the gas bill )

Twisted Evil

We will see you Saturday morning. If we get delayed our cell is 250-706-4041

So 2 plus maybe 2.
Back to top Go down
Mikhail
Admin
Admin
Mikhail

Player Info

PostSubject: Re: Nov 27-SNOW DAY   Nov 27-SNOW DAY - Page 2 EmptyFri 26 Nov 2010, 9:57 pm

Arrg...I just realized this is another hour past PG. Well...we will probably get there closer to noon then.

Back to top Go down
Mikhail
Admin
Admin
Mikhail

Player Info

PostSubject: Re: Nov 27-SNOW DAY   Nov 27-SNOW DAY - Page 2 EmptyTue 30 Nov 2010, 12:46 am

After game description and thoughts:

Rusty Fender was very kind and waited for us at the meeting point. A important key was him giving us his cell number so when we had a expected delay we could make arrangements. As it was, our conflicting appointment in town went extra quick and we got out of there waaay early and was on time at the meet point.

Several other players arrived, so while we waited, we gassed up the car and had a morning bite. Rusty was expecting to see the Quesnel boys with us (they managed to arrange a vehicle at the last minute) so we waited till around 11 till it was obvious everyone who was going was here...and we set off.

We arrived at a little cabin suburb near a ski area. Rusty and his crew of local players shoveled of the approach to the cabin, and warmed up the insides while we unloaded gear.

After a chance to have everyone inside and geared up Rusty showed off his nice snow camo outfit...he looked just like one of the snowmobile baddies chasing Mr. Bond through a picturesque winter scene.

Chris and I had found the poor man equivalent for roughly 7 bucks...which is disposable polypropylene painters coveralls.

His was a solid white and ours a sorta see through...think smudgy white, but they all worked pretty good.

The field was about 30 yards down the back of the cabin at the bottom of a old growth tree ravine. Moving was slow with the snow and the ground solid cover was heavy. Lots of monster downed trees and for variety, a sprinkling of devils club....ok, heavy sprinkling.

Fielded equipment was a bunch of AKs, a AUG, one SAW, and one sniper rifle (on Rusty's suggestion I took a chance and fielded my gas M700. He was hinting that the ravine sides are excellent sniping points)

Equipment issues...a battery died, and had to be swapped out....snow had to be cleared from muzzled several times....and a beautiful but sad box mag from the SAW cracked its top. I suspect the cold made the plastic extra brittle.

It was about -7 during the day, if I had to guess. (correct me if I am off anyone!).

I got 2 kills with the gas rifle which I am very happy about. After several other players had had enough, and it was getting down to the die hards (or cold crazied idiots...call em as you will) I got my last two and favorite kills.

The first was against our gracious host who could HEAR the bb whiz by...but just couldn't pick me out to return fire (first clue that the snow camo was working). Eventually I heard his snow camo give a pleasing thwap! and he called it. And the second was against my good wife who was holding out as the second to last alive, having secured a ravine side and thru fully auto fire dominating the game. The same ravine side which was the whole reason to be a sniper as it would be the perfect location. Cept...I wasn't there, now was I?

So up I went on a extreme flank...each crunch of snow expecting my position to be given away until I was within about 50 feet left of her sniping position, when suddenly she pops out from prone behind the log covering her position scanning the area aggressively, and I freeze in spot.

I then spend about 3 minutes moving reeeeeaaaal slow, reorienting the rifle, aiming....waiting for something that WASN'T a head shot....and took it. Got her! Good game everyone now lets go get warm!

What allowed a normally temperature finicky gas rifle to last through and actually be effective during a snow day?

Defective hand warmers.

I had some expired or perhaps defective hand warmers packets that BARELY get above hand heat...so I thought I might slid one or two in with our AEG batteries to help the batteries last...but when some interest was made in getting a sniper in the mix, I thought I would give applying them to the exposed gas mag a shot.

I would say that I still took a hit in power but was at least comparable to a spring rifle...without the loudness, and nothing like some of the drops in power I have experienced with this gun...bbs barely shooting out the end in some cases.

So, lessons learned:

1)winter camo works REAL well. get it. use it.

2)hand warms help cold sensitive equipment. It worth experimenting further with.

3)Find a gracious host who makes sure there is a place nearby for his players to get warm after!

Thanks again Rusty! And thanks to PG for holding 'Snow Days'

p.s. Chris was reaaally hoping to light up your traditional half naked snow day dude. What happened to that guy?

Please bring back that tradition! Bribes are possible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nov 27-SNOW DAY   Nov 27-SNOW DAY - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Nov 27-SNOW DAY
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2